If foods were graded on their nutrition content, hemp seeds would get an A++. You may be thinking, is Sam confusing this seed with the oh so popular, trendy chia seed...nope! So, what are hemp seeds and why are they considered one of nature's perfect foods, or rather superfoods?
1. Just two tablespoons of this itsy bitsy seed packs more protein than a whole egg (what you should chew on in a bottle of Sam Lives!), and this protein is COMPLETE (unlike most plant-based protein). It's also more digestible than the protein found in meat, whole eggs, cheese, human milk, and cows milk. So how does it compare to its super seed companion, chia? Hemp seeds have double the protein!
2. These tiny seeds pack a powerful punch of essential fatty acids - they’re an excellent source of Omega 3 and 6! These omegas do everything from building healthy cells to maintaining brain and nerve function. And since our body can’t naturally produce them, it’s essential that we eat them!
3. They’re packed with good fats. These fats help your body absorb vitamins, so you actually reap their benefits! They provide energy and help keep our hair and skin healthy and beautiful. They’re also known to lower bad cholesterol and bad fat….so contrary to popular belief, these fats are really very GOOD!
4. These little seeds have even more to give. They're made up of 10 to 15 percent fiber (~ 1 gram per 3 tablespoons). Fiber’s not only known for improving digestive health but also helping your body feel full on fewer calories! Yup, that means less overeating and fewer food comas :)
5. Hemp seeds are also rich in minerals from magnesium and iron to zinc and potassium!
Basically, hemp seeds have it all! That's why I sprinkle (more like pile) them onto every single breakfast I eat. I also make sure every bottle of Sam Lives! has at least a spoonful of organic hemp seeds, so you not only get all of the health benefits but also the protein to fuel your body! I don't even blend these gems, so you have to chew them. That’s because chewing helps you release enzymes that help your body better digest and absorb more vitamins & minerals - woohoo!